Saturday, April 18, 2015

Am I A Slut Shamer?

So I may get mixed reviews on this post but something has really gotten under my skin lately. For the last year or so I've been recieving messages from a guy on Grindr. At first he seemed like a nice guy, he's not my particular type but it's always nice to have someone to chat with every now and then. When he first started sending me a messages, they let to very very benign conversations. "Hello, how are you." that kind of stuff.

As the year progressed the conversations stopped and the soliciting began. "Hey man, you want head?" quickly became a daily message. I would always respond with a polite no thanks, but the messages kept on coming. But  apperently he's had enough of me turning him down. 

Now, I should say that I've never actually laid eyes on the guy in person. He would offer his place to hangout in or want to come over and watch a moive but after the "looking" messages started, I had neither the time or the desire hang out. Up until a week ago he'd always been polite. I'd turn down his offer of oral gratification, he'd take it in stride and that would be the end of it. 

Last Friday I logged onto Grindr to find this message of apology. 

"Hey man, I've been told I can come off a little sexually aggressive and I wanted to apologize if I've offended you."

I'm human and if someone hasn't done anything wrong there's no need for them to apologize. His messages were nothing more than an mild annoyance, something I could easily deal with. So I replied with, what I thought, was a simple, clean cut response.

"No offense taken. It's cool."

His next message was the last straw for me. 

"Ok good. You want to come by for some head?" 

I didn't reply back. I've spent the last year telling this guy that I didn't want to hook up and that he wasn't my type. I even managed to hold my tongue when he offered to come over and "service" me and my platonic roommate at the same time. Now maybe it was wrong of me to log off my app and ignore the message. I could have very easily have said "no thank you." for the umpteenth time but I was tired of dealing with it. Later that night I got a message that, I feel, was totally uncalled for.

"Who are you to shame me for enjoying sex. You are a small, bitter person who would rather judge others then get to know someone who just wants to be your friend. Forget I ever offered to suck you off."

Okay, done. My problem with this guy isn't that he wants to fool around with me. Honestly I'm kind of flattered that someone would find me attractive enough to make a long term effort to get into my pants. The reason this exchange has bugged me the way it has is because I'm not judgmental, at least I try not to be. If he would have taken no for an answer and tried to have an actual conversation with me, then fine maybe we could have hung out as friends. I realize Grindr is a hookup app but does it mean I have to take ever offer for sex not to be labeled a slut shamer?

As of right now, I've not heard from the guy again. He's not blocked me nor have I responded to his message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment